I cannot figure this child out. I really thought she would potty train somewhat easily. We got off to an amazing start. She was a champ the first few days we got after it.
Then she just decided she didn't want to. And that is what it has become...a battle of wills. She knows how...she just WON'T do it.
I have tried stickers, candy, toys, tv, spanking, time-out, new panties, big potty. The big problem is that she will holler out, "I need to tee-tee!" and then say No! and fall in the floor when you try to help her get there. And she won't go by herself either.
At first I credited her backtracking to all of the baby stuff going on...maybe a form of attention-seeking. Then lately, I started to doubt that she is ready at all despite all the cues and 75% success rate somedays.
I eased up on her and took a break from pushing too hard. It has just exhausted me fighting her to go when I am juggling Brenna at the same time.
Then somedays she restores my faith in her again and proves that we still need to be potty training when she won't tee-tee in the pool or will potty all day when a friend is over.
And then, the ultimate befuddlement this weekend: We went to a birthday party two hours away so we just put a diaper on her and weren't going to worry too much about it. She stayed dry the whole way, and then stopped playing on her own at the party to go potty...twice!
The next day at home: mostly messes. This morning: pooped in the potty all by herself.
Why does she have more trouble at home? Why does it not bother her to be wet? Is she just trying to frustrate me? Is God trying to tell me something about my patience...or lack there of? Will she still refuse to go by kindergarten? How can someone so cute and sweet be so hardheaded?
2 comments:
Hang in there Amber - she will do it on her own time! We are in the same boat with the twins. One is potty trained and the other could care less!
It must be genetic.
Post a Comment