Friday, September 10, 2010

Idiosyncrasy--

1. a tendency, type of behavior, mannerism, etc., of a specific person; quirk
2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity
3. An unusual individual reaction to a food or drug

Examples:
1. Brenna has started saying "Hi" in her own little way--mouth wide open often accompanied with a growl/hock/gurgling sound.
2. Audrey is an average eater, not as picky as some, and thankfully starting to try new things. But she is usually brand-specific! Nuggets have to be Pilgrim's Pride, carrots and green beans Del Monte, black-eyed peas Bush's, mac and cheese Easy-Mac, and fruit snacks Welch's Strawberry. Plus, she has never been able to handle big bites. Everything must be cut small because she has a high gag reflex.

3. Brenna is very active with her mouth but not to make much noise. Sometimes it looks like she is chewing on nothing or talking without words coming out. And when she smiles, she usually touches her tongue to the roof of her mouth.4. Audrey has recently developed some "imaginary friends" named Dut Da and Diwon. When she plays by herself, I hear her talking to them and asking them questions. She says Dut Da lives in Eastland with her mama, daddy, and sister, and then she gets really silly and embarassed when you ask her other questions about them.5. Brenna has already had an unusual assortment of ailments and reports in her short little life. First there was a negative PKU test in the hospital which thankfully turned out fine. Then she battled a reflux problem until just recently. Then at two and four months, the doctor picked up on a clicking sound in both her hips. We followed up on that at Cooks and discovered that her hips are shallow and will possibly wear out in her 20s if the angle does not correct itself. Then at 6 months, the doctor discovered a small issue with her bottom end that needed a prescription ointment for a couple of weeks. Then finally her recent ear infection required two different antibiotics to knock it out. For such a happy, healthy girl, she requires a lot of medical attention!

6. For someone who loves to do tricks and jump and climb so much every single day, Audrey does not like to swing!

7. So speaking of Brenna's medical requirements, I found myself with 5 different substances on my hands after getting her ready for bed one night: prescription ointment, diaper cream, neosporin, hydrocortisone, and lotion.

8. Brenna thinks it is hilarious to steal diapers away from me while I am changing her--the new clean ones, that is :) She grabs it so quickly and bites it really hard while laughing at me trying to take it back from her. Audrey likes to get in on the action, too, and then we are all laughing and being silly. I call them the "Diaper Swipers".

9. And speaking of diapers, Brenna is already one size away from Audrey's diaper size (which she only wears at night.) Audrey is doing very well with the potty training now. Sometimes she gets her panties a little wet, though, and comes unglued if you put them back on her, saying "These panties kinda wet!"

10. Brenna is always kicking her legs when she sits in the Bumbo chair or on my hip. Oftentimes I feel like a horse she is trying to spur to go, especially when she is hitting my shoulder at the same time. If she starts saying, "Hyah, Hyah", I will start to wonder. Maybe that is what all the mouth movement, growling, and Hi's are all about...

3 comments:

King Amy said...

cute post- so interesting...its obvious how much you love your girls!!

Ingram Gang said...

Kayt has two imaginary friends, as well. Sallin and Eniley. That is the best spelling I can come up with. She used to have one named Valerie, but she moved to California with her dad. Sad day.
And Kayt doesn't like to swing. Nor does she like elevators. She is scared of heights. It's quite odd because she has ALWAYS been this way. She didn't even like to swing in our tree swing as a baby. At her gymnastics class, they have a big swing that they hoist them up in and they can spin, flip and do all sorts of fun things. Not my girl. She refuses.

I thought those two similarities were funny. Your girls are super sweet. I'll pray specifically for Brenna's hip to correct itself. Love you, girl. I thoroughly enjoy keeping up with your cute lil' family!

Amber said...

Thanks, Amy! Yeah, I think I will keep them :)

Thank you, Ashley! I miss your blogs :(