Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Smart Cookie

Brenna is one smart cookie. She soaks in knowledge in an amazing way, and we love to brag on her (to ourselves and grandmas and blog-followers ;)

She has learned so much of Audrey's Kindergarten skills this year. Audrey quizzes her on addition facts at the dinner table and she can now easily count to 100. Actually, she thinks she can count to 1,000. "107, 108, 109, 1000!"


She and Garner found a magnet the other day, and after a very brief reminder of what magnets do, she carried around a checklist making checks and X's while Garner tested surfaces to determine if the magnet would stick. I really did not prompt them to do this. And they called themselves "The Metal Detectors".


I also gave the girls a brief lesson on how to tell time. We have a large clock with Roman numerals in the living room. Brenna figured out how to count around the clock to determine that the time was 7:00. I assure you my lesson was not that in-depth and I definitely did not teach Roman numerals. Maybe Umizoomi or Bubble Guppies is more informative than I thought...

One morning, I woke her up for preschool. She immediately grabbed a stuffed unicorn to take with her. I told her we did not need to take toys, but she insisted that she take it because it was U day. I had not reported this. She just remembered that the previous preschool day was letter T day, so this one must naturally be U. And unicorn starts with U. She has also got the months all figured out. She needs our little song to get there, but she can tell you exactly which month comes next...and usually whose birthday will be next. Nothing gets past her.

Every week, I gather up new books to take to preschool with us depending on the theme. She has perused the shelves enough every week that she knows which shelf (out of three) that certain books can be found on. She can also name exactly which Bible story she wants to retell at night. And at risk of being a know-it-all, she helps with details in Children's Church, too.

 Whether she becomes a doctor or physicist or learns nothing else from here on out...she is very bright to us in all ways possible!

No comments: