Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bye, Pa...

I lost my grandpa this morning.

He used to call me Am-Scam. I called him Pa-Jaw.

I loved spending time at Pa & Granny's house when I was a kid. One of my favorite memories was when we would spend the night there and raid Pa's dresser to wear his big, soft undershirts for pajamas. I can still remember how they felt and smelled as all four of us cousins ran around like we were ghosts in them. He was a very rough, work-oriented man, one who could make John Wayne nervous. But I'm pretty sure he teared up at my wedding when he looked at me.

He was an excellent team roper in his day, and I will never forget how he looked on his gray-white horse Sancho.

I said things like "That's pretty keen" and was a man proud of the family name.

Bye, Pa. You will always be so special to me.

4 comments:

Magen said...

Awww! Sounds like a sweetie at heart. I loved what you wrote about the memories as a girl. Sorry for your loss!

Anonymous said...

He looks like such an amazing, honest man! Any person had to have been a better person meeting him!!! Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer and Brad said...

We are sorry about your loss. He sounds like he was a magnificent man! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you through this time.

Jay Beerley said...

Oh Amber, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so glad you have so many great memories of him.