Dear Parents,
Texas has a new law which states that on September 11 schools must make a statement about the victims of the 9-11 terrorist attacks and honor them with a moment of silence. I composed a statement for our campus that I hope honored those individuals who lost their life and I also hope it was appropriate to the ages of the children we serve at Comanche Elementary School. I'm informing you of this because your children may ask questions tonight. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call me at the school. Below, you will find the text of the statement I made over the intercom. Curtis Stahnke
"Boys and girls, this morning I'd like to talk to you about a terrible thing that happened to our nation 12 years ago. Some very bad people attacked the United States and many Americans were killed. It was a sad day but our country is strong and we did not let those bad people win. Boys and girls, in just a moment we are going to have a moment of silence in memory of our fellow Americans who lost their lives during this attack. We want to honor those people and to be proud of the United States. At this time please begin a moment of silence to honor the Americans who lost their lives. .....moment of silence..... Thank you boys and girls. The United States is our home and we should be proud to live here. I want you to know that you are safe and we will always take good care of you."
I was choked up today on so many levels. I had already talked to Audrey the night before to prepare her for the day and for the moment of silence. Then our wonderful principal and neighbor so lovingly handled his part. I used more references to God in my talk than he is allowed to at school, but overall, our talks were the same. Have I mentioned how thankful we are for our community, school, and principal?
These little faces don't understand our world and its headlines...Syria, gun bill, abortion pill, scandalous performances, hate crime, drug death, chemical attack. They put their trust in love and warm hugs and puppies and cookies. Our girls look to us to hear that everything is ok. And while I cannot explain to them that the world is definitely not ok, I can take them to the Shelter and Fortress where I know they will always find Refuge in the best of times and worst.
Take heart...He has overcome the world! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!
9 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment